If you purchased your vehicle from an out-of-state dealership, they may mail your title to us on your behalf at 2932 Canton Rd, Marietta, GA 30066; however, some out-of-state dealerships may be unaware of Georgias TAVT process and may not collect taxes. Please check with your selling dealership if buying out-of-state for further details.
If your Georgia dealership did not collect tag fees and they have informed you that you may purchase your tag, you can order your tag today online!
If you purchased your vehicle from a business (other than a Georgia dealership) or individual known as a casual sale you must apply for a new title and registration within seven days of the sale. We require all new owners of the vehicle to be present to sign the title application.
When only applying for a title, you will generally need the following:
- Title (or Bill of Sale if no title is required)
- A Georgia drivers license for each new owner
- $18.00 for the title fee
- Payment forTitle Ad Valorem Tax
You cancalculate the TAVT and any estimated penalties for casual and dealer sales based on the purchase date.
When you purchase, lease or move a vehicle to Georgia, you must title your vehicle within 30 days. If you purchase a vehicle from an individual, law enforcement requires you to title your vehicle within 7 business days.
After the 30-day deadline, late fees will be assessed as follows:
- $10.00 added to the title fee
- 10% of the TAVT added (5% for dealerships)
- 1% interest for every extra month you are late (5% for dealerships)
If you were making payments on your vehicle and you did not receive a title from your lien holder, you will need alien releasefrom them before applying. A lien release simply says that you paid off your car loan.
*Additional fees apply.
If you were making payments on your vehicle, your lien holder might not have the title. Some statessend the title to youeven though you have a lien.
These states include:
- Arizona (purchased before 1/1/2003)
- Missouri (purchased after 7/1/2003)
- New York
- South Dakota
If this is the case and you lost your out-of-state title, you need to contact the last state where your vehicle was registered for a replacement title.
Read Every Title Carefully
Titles from other states will be designed differently, but the information required is often the same. Erasures, whiteout, blackout, and scribbles will void a title. Mistakes may require extra forms to correct what someone wrote incorrectly. If you do not know what to write or do, call us or come into the office and our clerks will help you.
- Look at the front of the title. Make sure any listed lien holders have filled in box(C).
- If the lien has not been signed off, you will need alien releasefrom the previous owner's lien holder.
- Flip the title over to the back.
- Make sureall ownerson thefrontof the title have printed their names and signed on lines(6)and(7).
- Print your full legal name(just like it is on your drivers license) on line(1).
- If you have changed your name, you will need a court document showing that change (i.e. Marriage Certificate, Divorce Decree or Change of Name).
- Printyour currentresidential addresson lines(2)and(3).
- If you have a mailing address, you will write that on theTitle Application.
- Write thedate you purchasedyour vehicle one line(4).
- If you make a mistake, any correction adds a$10.00 penalty. Wait until you come into the office before making a correction to the purchase date.
- Write thecurrent mileageon line(5).
- If you make a mistake,stop. Do not mark out the mileage. So long as the mileage on the back of the title is more than the mileage on the front of the title, we will accept that amount.
- If you wrote your mileage less than what is on the front of the title, relax. We have anaffidavit to correct the problem.
- Print your full legal name(just like it is on your drivers license) on line(8).
- Signyour name (however you normally sign) on line(9).
- If you are making payments on the vehicle, write thenameandaddressof the person or company to whom you are sending your payments on lines(10)and(11).