Need to renew your registration? Be prepared to satisfy any auto insurance requirements.
Please enter your zip code to get your free car insurance quote.ZIP:
On this page youll find an overview of the car registration renewal process in Missouri.
Learn about aspects of your car registration and renewal options including:
- Fees, forms, and links.
- Methods of renewing your registration.
- Renewal Reminders.
- Grace periods for expired tags.
- Types of renewal terms.
What do I Need to Renew my Registration?
No matter which method you choose to renew your vehicle registration, here is the information and items youll want to have on hand:
- Your current registration card.
- Your registration renewal notice, if applicable.
- Your license plate number.
- Your VIN.
- Your drivers license number.
- Your address.
- Payment for your renewal fees.
The Missouri DOR will also notify you if you need to complete any of the following before you process your renewal:
- Smog checks or emissions inspections.
- Vehicle safety inspections.
- VIN verifications.
If youve moved, its also a good idea to process your DOR address change before its time to renew your registration. Otherwise, you may have to visit your local DOR office to complete the renewal before your registration expires.
How Long is Vehicle Registration Good for in Missouri?
Registration is valid for either 1 year or 2 years.
Two-year registrations can only be obtained in even numbered years for even model year vehicles, and in odd-numbered years for odd model year vehicles.
Missouri Registration Renewal Notice
Before your registration expires, you should receive a renewal notice with:
- Instructions and options for how to renew.
- A Personal Identification Number.
- Important renewal dates and fees.
Missouri Car Registration Renewal Grace Period
You must renew your plates before the end of your expiration month. Renewals can be processed up to 6 months before the expiration date.
If you renew after your registration expires, you will be charged a late fee.
Where to Renew Missouri Vehicle Registration
Depending on the type of vehicle you have, you have the option to renew your registration:
- Through the Missouri DOR.
- With an authorized third-party.
If you decide to renew your registration with an authorized DOR partner, youll typically have to pay an extra processing fee, but these services often get your registration processed more quickly and take some of the hassle out of the transaction.
How to Renew Car Registration in Missouri
In Missouri, your options for renewing your vehicle registration include:
- In person at your local MIssouri license office.
- By mail.
How to Renew Car Registration Online in Missouri
To renew online, youll need to:
- Use the PIN on your renewal notice.
- Pay your vehicle property tax.
- Complete a safety and emissions inspection, if applicable.
- Provide proof of insurance.
- Pay the registration and processing fees.
When Will I Receive my New Tags?
After you renew your registration by mail or online, your updated registration tags will be sent out in the mail.
After you pay for the renewal, youll receive a receipt, which can be used as proof of valid registration until your updated documents get there.
Typically, you can expect to receive your new license plate stickers and registration card within about 10 days to a few weeks.
You can contact the Missouri DOR to check on the status of your registration renewal.
How Much is a Missouri Car Registration Renewal?
Your registration fees will depend on the a few different factors including:
- The type of vehicle and its intended use.
- The gross vehicle weight rating.
- Whether or not it is an electric vehicle.
- The type of license plates you have.
- The registration term youve applied for.
- Local taxes and fees.
- Late fees for lapsed registrations.
Registration fees can go down over time as your vehicle gets older.
Please refer to your registration notice or the Missouri fee chart through the official link below.
Vehicle Registration & Car Insurance
You need to make sure your car is properly insured to avoid having your registration cancelled.
If its time to renew your registration, its also a good time to compare car insurance quotes.
Comparing quotes throughout the year can help you save money.
You can switch your policy at any time, and there is no penalty for changing providers.
Official Missouri DOR Registration Renewal Links & Forms
For official information and resources to renew your Missouri car registration, please visit the following link: https://dor.mo.gov/