Without a car title, you cant sell your car, use it as a trade-in, or even register it in another state. Obviously, its important that you protect this document, but thats harder than you might think. Too many people put it somewhere out of the way, only to leave it behind when they move, or find that its been damaged in a house fire. It might even be stolen in some instances. When this happens, a duplicate car title from Illinois will help.
There are two ways that you can apply for a duplicate car title in Illinois. You can apply by mail, or you can visit your local SOS office (Secretary of State). Regardless of which method you choose, youll need to follow the same preliminary steps:
- Complete Form VSD 190 (Application for Vehicle Transactions). This form can be downloaded from CyberDrive (the Illinois SOS website), or you can get a copy from an SOS office. You can also order one by phone if you call 800-252-8980.
- Include the payment of $95 for the duplicate title.
Mail your completed form and payment to the following address:
Secretary of State
Vehicle Services Department
501 S. 2nd Street, RM 014
Springfield, IL 62756
If youll be applying in person, take your completed form and payment to your local SOS office. You will need your cars registration, as well as valid ID.
Note that if you require a title very quickly, you can apply for an expedited duplicate title. This will require a fee of $125 (an additional $30 fee plus the standard $95 duplicate title fee).
Other rules that must be followed include:
- Your paperwork cannot be received no later than noon the day of your application.
- You must either accept UPS deliver of your duplicate title, or be available to pick it up in person at the SOS office in Springfield.
- If you apply by phone, you must use a credit card to pay for an expedited duplicate title.
For more information, visit the CyberDriveIllinois website.