How to Register Your Vehicle When Moving to a New StateGopi Karelia3 years ago
As per the Motor Vehicle Act, a vehicle needs to be re-registered in two cases:
- If a private vehicles has been registered for more than 15 years from the date of original registration.
- If the vehicle has been transferred to another Indian state and is to be used there for more than 12 months.
In this article, we tell you about the process of re-registering your vehicle if you are crossing state borders.
1: Get NOC
A No-Objection Certificate (NOC) will certify that the vehicles owner has no pending fines and was not involved in an accident. It will also guarantee that the vehicle is not a stolen one.
You can get the NOC letter:
- Directly from the Regional Transport Office (RTO) where your vehicle is registered.
- Or you can procure it from a driving school.
Please Note: If you have taken a loan for the vehicle, it is mandatory to obtain an NOC from the bank as well
2: Required Documents to Get the NOC
- Form 28 which is the application form for an NOC (click here to download the form)
- Certificate of vehicle registration (original and a self-attested copy)
- Insurance document (self-attested copy)
- Emission test and Pollution Under Control (PUC) certificate (self-attested copy)
- Aadhar card (or an address proof) and tax slip.
- Driving license (original and copy)
Please note: Add N/A in fields that are not to be filled or are irrelevant for you. Submit the form along with the applicable fees.
3: Pay Road Tax
The process to get an NOC can take up to five weeks. Once you get it, you must pay the road tax as applicable in the state you are moving to. Road tax differs depending on the region you are in.
Once you have paid the tax through a demand draft at the RTO, your road tax from the previous state will be reimbursed. (Please note: You will be reimbursed only if you have paid a lifetime of road tax)
For the same, you need to submit an application for the road tax refund, a copy of old and new registration certificate, new insurance policy document, ID and address proof.
- To re-register your two-wheeler in Delhi, click on the linkhere.
- If you are shifting to Maharashtra, read about the tax slabshere.
- Two-wheelers in West Bengal will followthesetax slabs.
- For Karnataka, check out the linkhere.
- To re-register your two-wheeler in Telangana, clickhere.
- For registrations in Tamil Nadu, check out the linkhere.
After obtaining the NOC, re-register your vehicle in the RTO of the place you have shifted to. Some RTOs give a deadline of up to six months or a year for the process. However, just to be safe, check with your new RTO.
You will need the following documents:
- Registration Certificate
- Driving licence
- Address proof in new state
- Emission certificate
- Form 27 CMV: Application for assignment of new registration mark
- Form 33 (Intimation of change of address for the certificate of registration and office records)
- Form 29 (Notice of transfer of ownership of vehicle)
A new registration number will be issued in a few days.
Registering a vehicle in a new state is not a complicated process. One just needs to carry all the required documents to avoid multiple trips at the RTO. NOC is the main document so one should not lose it. As for the process, there are several driving schools through which you can apply and save time.
Moving states can be a hectic process and registering your car for a new number can be a very time-consuming . Share this article with your loved ones to make it easier.
Share this how-to with your friends & family
Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
LinkedInCategories: How To, InformationTags: Address proof in new state, car registration, consumer information, crossing state border, driving licence, Emission certificate, How To, how to re-register vehicle, motor vehicle act, noc, non objection certificate, registration certificate, road tax, Vehicle registration