Address proof for vehicle registration in Karnataka
Permanent registration is required for those vehicles which got registered temporarily.Apply In-PersonTo register a vehicle (Car, Bike, motorcycle) permanently in Karnataka the app
Permanent registration is required for those vehicles which got registered temporarily.
- To register a vehicle (Car, Bike, motorcycle) permanently in Karnataka the applicant has to approach the RTO office to which his area belongs to.
- Please follow our Office Locations & Contacts section of this page to get details of the RTO offices. Link for RTO contacts: Contacts Link
- Link for online application forms: Link for Form
- Application in FORM 20, 21, 22, 22 A is required.
- Please make sure you have all the documents that are listed down the Required Document section of this page.
- Application forms can be obtained from the appropriate RTO, same can be completed and presented with appropriate fees.
- Present the completed application forms along with documents in one of the counter and pay the appropriate fee where the officials would start processing your application.
- Pencil tracing of engine chassis number is the activity to record the chassis number against the registration number in the RTO register
- Authorities will inspect the vehicle and announce the registration number
- Applicant can collect the registration certificate RC on the day informed by authorities
- Link for online application forms: Link for Form
- Application in FORM 20, 21, 22, 22 A is required. Application forms can be obtained from the following link: Form 20 and Form 21 and Form 22
- Application in Form-20 (in duplicate if it is with HP)
- Sales certificate in Form 21 .
- Pollution under control and road worthiness certificate in Form-22 from manufacturer
- Pollution under control and road worthiness certificate in Form-22 A, where body is fabricated
- Valid Insurance Certificate.
- Proof of address (any one of the following): Ration Card / Electoral Roll / LIC Policy / Affidavit sworn by the applicant *before an Executive or First Class Judicial
- Design approval copy as applicable
- Original Sales Certificate from the concerned Authorities in Form 21 in the case of Ex_Army Vehicle.
- Customs Clearance Certificate in the case of Imported Vehicles.
- Appropriate Fee as specified in Rule 81 of CMV Rules.
- Tax as prescribed
- Chassis Number is the primary detail for applying
- Pan card or GIR or Form-60/61 of I.T. Department
- Aadhaar card
- Passport size photos 3 copies.
- Life Time Tax for Non Transport Vehicle.
- Unloaded Weight Certificate for Transport Vehicle.
- Permit sanctioned proceedings for Transport Vehicle.
- Temporary Registration Certificate for temporarily registered vehicles.
Office Locations & Contacts
Commissioner for Transport and Road Safety
1st Floor, 'A' Block, TTMC. Building,
PRO-phone: 080-22210994 Fax: 080-22235804
Karnataka State - Transport Department Contacts: Link for contacts
Full List of Karnataka RTO Office Locations
- Dealer is eligible to apply on behalf of the owner of the vehicle.
- Registration of temporary registered vehicle - the owner may apply for registration.
- Fees related information can be obtained from the following link: Fee Link
- RTO authorities may provide more information on fees
- Incase of non transport vehicles like two wheelers and cars, the registration certificate is valid for 15 years from the date of first registration and it is renewed after every five subsequent years.
- Incase of transport vehicles like goods and passenger carriers the registration certificate is valid till certificate of fitness is valid.
Documents to Use
Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.
- It takes 5 working days to register a vehicle
- Applicant can receive the RC within one week to 1 month
Karnataka - Register A Vehicle (Car, Bike, Motorcycle)
- One have to approach local zonal office of the Transport Department for registration of private/non-commercial vehicles.
- There are self registering dealers who have also been given the registration powers,delivers the vehicles after registration.
- After allocation of registration numbers, fee receipt is given to the applicant on the same day and above documents are kept by the zonal office.
- The registration fee receipt can be retained as proof of having made an application for registration.
- Full name of person to be registered as Registered owner
- Date of Birth
- Permanent Address
- Temporary Address / Official Address
- Duration of stay at the present address
- Annual income
- Name and address of the Dealer or Manufacturer from whom the vehicle was purchased
- Particulars of Vehicle
- Class of vehicle
- The motor vehicle is
- A new vehicle
- Ex-army vehicle
- Imported vehicle
- Type of body
- Type of vehicle
- Maker's Name
- Month and Year of manufacture
- Number of cylinders
- Horse power
- Cubic capacity
- Maker's classification if not known, wheel base
- Chassis No. (Affix Pencil print)
- Engine Number or Motor Number in case of Battery Operated Vehicles.
- Seating capacity (including driver)
- Fuel used in the engine
Need for the Document
- All the vehicles need to be registered as per the Motor Vehicle Act,1988 . The vehicles are provided with unique registration number. Once the vehicle is registered, a certificate is issued to the owner. The registration certificate is used as a proof for authorized owner of the vehicle.
- Permanent registration is required for the Temporary registered Vehicle
- Vehicle registration's purpose is to establish clear ownership and to tax motorist or vehicle owners. It is a requirement by the state.
- After one register his / her vehicle He / She will receive a unique number to use it in number board
- When a bike owned by a individual sold to another person the name transfer has to be made with the authorities concerned
Information which might help
- One who wishes to sell his or her vehicle should make sure that the proper name transfer in RC is carried out
- FC (for clearance) is a process meant for reviewing the condition of the vehicle registered
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
Place some external links which might help.
More information which might help people.